Our Country's Fiery Ordeal

A blog about the American Civil War, written and maintained by historian Daniel J. Vermilya, author of The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (History Press, 2014) and James Garfield and the Civil War (History Press, 2015)

Dedicated to my great-great-great grandfather, Private Ellwood Rodebaugh, Company D, 106th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, killed at the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862.

"And may an Overuling Providence continue to cause good to come out of evil, justice to be done to all men where injustice has long prevailed, and finally, peace, quiet, and harmony to come out of this terrible confrontation and our country's fiery ordeal." -- Albert Champlin, 105th Ohio, Diary entry of June 19, 1864 (Western Reserve Historical Society)

Monday, February 11, 2013

Southern Comfort Zone

The title of this post is NOT about the Atlanta airport.


My flight yesterday was scheduled for 4:26 pm. We did not leave Atlanta until after 9 pm. Twice, our plane was found mechanically faulty, and another was brought in. Three times our gate was switched. There were severe thunderstorms across the South, making travel a nightmare.

But, after leaving my Aunt and Uncle's house in Kennesaw at 2 pm yesterday, I finally got home in Ohio at right around midnight. A very long day indeed.


However, I still love Georgia (if not Delta Airlines). I am glad to be back home in Ohio, safe and sound, because I have quite a bit of work ahead of me on the book project, as well as putting the finishing touches on and hopefully publishing my Antietam research. Also, I don't mind leaving Georgia too much because, as the Brad Paisley song goes,


Cause I know the route I leave on
It will always bring me back
(Hopefully the route leading me back will not be a Delta flight with a 5 hour delay and turbulence from thuderstorms, but I agree with Brad's general sentiment)
A  big thanks to the folks at Emory University's Manuscript and Rare Book Library in the Woodruff Library Building, the staff at the Atlanta History Center, and most importantly, the Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park Staff, including Park Historian Willie Johnson and Ranger Amanda Corman. I also want to thank local historian Brad Quinlin who spent several hours going over Kennesaw Mountain while walking the ground with me this past Friday.

So long Kennesaw Mountain, see you next time.
Now, I just need to hunker down in this Ohio winter to continue working on this book...

No comments:

Post a Comment