Our Country's Fiery Ordeal

A blog about the American Civil War, written and maintained by historian Daniel J. Vermilya, author of The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (History Press, 2014) and James Garfield and the Civil War (History Press, 2015)

Dedicated to my great-great-great grandfather, Private Ellwood Rodebaugh, Company D, 106th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, killed at the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862.

"And may an Overuling Providence continue to cause good to come out of evil, justice to be done to all men where injustice has long prevailed, and finally, peace, quiet, and harmony to come out of this terrible confrontation and our country's fiery ordeal." -- Albert Champlin, 105th Ohio, Diary entry of June 19, 1864 (Western Reserve Historical Society)

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Gettysburg 150 Reflections: Photos Part 1

 
I realized halfway through writing my post with my observations and reflections from the Gettysburg 150th that I would not have room for all of the pictures which I wanted to post. I decided to put up some photos over a few posts. The past week was one of the greatest of my life, and these pictures are just a short overview of why. Some are my own, some from colleagues, some from the NPS Gettysburg facebook page, and a few from the Civil War Trust. Enjoy.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Trace Adkins signing the National Anthem at the June 30 ceremony. Awesome.
 
 
 
 

 
 
Jared Frederick, myself, and Nate Hess on Cemetery Ridge on July 2 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jared got a few good shots of me in action. I really like the one directly above. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


A shot of me preparing for my first program of the day.
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
I love this picture. The kids sitting on dad's shoulders listening to my program. Hopefully they will be future park rangers some day...

  
 
 
 
 
 We had very large crowds for all of our talks at Cemetery Ridge on July 2
 
 
  
  

 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 Thanks to the Civil War Trust for this shot of me reading the Samuel Fitzinger letter on July 2. Behind me is the Codori Farm where Fitzinger was killed and buried. Here is a link to the letter.
 
 
 

 
Thanks to Jared for this shot of me doing my super ranger point.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To wrap up the July 2, myself and a few of my colleagues went to the evening program at Meade's Headquarters for the Council of War. Rangers John Nicholas and Angie Atkinson led the program and did a phenomenal job. I got to sneak into the Leister House just before the program started to avoid the huge crowds. Here, in the room where I am pictured standing, 150 years earlier to the moment, George Meade and the Union high command was deciding the fate of their army on July 3, and helping to decide the fate of the nation in the process...
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Stay tuned for more photos in the future...
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: