Our Country's Fiery Ordeal

A blog about the American Civil War, written and maintained by historian Daniel J. Vermilya, author of The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (History Press, 2014) and James Garfield and the Civil War (History Press, 2015)

Dedicated to my great-great-great grandfather, Private Ellwood Rodebaugh, Company D, 106th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, killed at the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862.

"And may an Overuling Providence continue to cause good to come out of evil, justice to be done to all men where injustice has long prevailed, and finally, peace, quiet, and harmony to come out of this terrible confrontation and our country's fiery ordeal." -- Albert Champlin, 105th Ohio, Diary entry of June 19, 1864 (Western Reserve Historical Society)

Friday, May 27, 2011

WCRF Radio Interview--Part 3

Here is the link for part 3 of my radio interview for Memorial Day which aired this week on WCRF, Moody Radio Cleveland: http://www.moodyradiocleveland.fm/rdo_programToday.aspx?id=45883

If you have been listening the past few mornings, thank you, and I hope you found some of what I had to say interesting and/or useful. I have posted links to each day's audio clips, so if you missed a day, you can still check out what I had to say.

As for Mark Zimmerman, a big thank you for having me on your program. You are a great friend, and I hope I am able to show you around Antietam sometime soon!

Today was a busy day at the park, and tomorrow promises to be even busier. More updates to come on Memorial Day in Sharpsburg. For now, a few more pictures...



Antietam National Cemetery


A few graves for unkown soldiers.


A view of the back of the 8th Ohio monument at Bloody Lane. The 8th Ohio was recruited from the Northeastern part of the state.

The 8th Ohio Monument, with Bloody Lane and the fields over which they attacked in the background

2 comments:

  1. Dan, I so enjoyed your interview on WCRF. I am a history buff myself. I have been investigating my Great-great Grandfathers Civil War service and I have a question to which I cannot find an answer. I thought maybe you could help me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy to see if I can help with your question. Send me an email with your question and any extra information on your ancestor. My email address is posted on my complete profile (the link is right below my about me section). Hope to hear from you soon!

    ReplyDelete