Our Country's Fiery Ordeal

A blog about the American Civil War, written and maintained by historian Daniel J. Vermilya, author of The Battle of Kennesaw Mountain (History Press, 2014) and James Garfield and the Civil War (History Press, 2015)

Dedicated to my great-great-great grandfather, Private Ellwood Rodebaugh, Company D, 106th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, killed at the Battle of Antietam, September 17, 1862.

"And may an Overuling Providence continue to cause good to come out of evil, justice to be done to all men where injustice has long prevailed, and finally, peace, quiet, and harmony to come out of this terrible confrontation and our country's fiery ordeal." -- Albert Champlin, 105th Ohio, Diary entry of June 19, 1864 (Western Reserve Historical Society)

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Settling In at the Codori House

Hello all,


Just wanted to post a quick note. I am currently settling in to my new confines for the summer--the Codori Farm House at Gettysburg. Yes, THE Codori house, as in the one right smack dab in the middle of Pickett's Charge, where the division of George Pickett actually had to maneuver around the house, just a few hundred yards away from Cemetery Ridge. Yeah, that Codori House. That's where I am living while working as a park ranger at Gettysburg for the 150th anniversary of the battle.


I know what you are thinking. Yes, God is good, and he does answer prayers. I'm not lucky. Just blessed.

It has been a long day. I worked at Antietam this morning, did a program for about 90 people, moved up here and settled in this afternoon and evening. Time to hit the books then bed.

Over the next few months, this blog will be focusing very heavily on Gettysburg. I am living in the middle of the battlefield, it is the 150th anniversary this summer (which I have already nicknamed the "Civil War Super Bowl" because it will be ridiculous how many people will be here). I hope to chronicle lots of my experiences on here, as well as give you a view as to what it is like being a ranger here from my perspective. Also, another big plus, the Codori House has INTERNET! So, I can actually be a 21st century ranger now...


Stay tuned! It will be a great year.

1 comment: